The Expertise Incubator
TEI 1-04: Examples of the form
Daily emails are almost like their own genre of an art form, so it's useful to study the form as others are doing it. That's why, before we kick this thing off, I want to point you to some lists you can subscribe to to be a daily spectator to some daily or near-daily emails.
- CB Insights: https://www.cbinsights.com/ is a pretty good example, and they do email very well. You can join their newsletter on https://www.cbinsights.com/research/
- I think they publish at least 3 times/week, which is my minimum threshold for "high frequency publication". I believe they have a team behind their emails, but still I find their emails engaging in a way that corporate emails usually aren't. They're a nice mix of informality and value.
- Fred Wilson. Sign up for a week or three and see what you think: https://avc.com/subscribe/
- Daily publication, with a nice blend of on and off-topic stuff.
- Bob Lefsetz: Not really a "company", and it takes a while to get into his style, but give Bob Lefsetz a few weeks and see what you think: https://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1
- No idea how this guy makes money
- Remember his job is writing, so that shows up in terms of volume, frequency, etc.
- Very beat poet-esqe writing. Love it or hate it most likely.
- Civic Science:
- Weekly, not daily. Still, there's something about this email I just like. Something about the combination of relaxed tone and interesting content.
- Matt Levine:
- A mostly-daily opinion column by Matt Levine, for Bloomberg
- I can't tell you how much a fan I am
- Ben Settle:
- A very mixed bag:
- Real personality or persona?
- Actual sexist or just plays one on his email list?
- Excessive use of curiosity. Pay special attention last week of the month every month.
- Jonathan Stark:
- Great example of a daily email list.
- Jill Salzman:
- I haven't studied her emails closely, so I don't know quite what to tell you about here, but given that she's likely got a mostly-female demo, might be interesting to some for that reason alone.
- I assume you're on my list, but if not: https://philipmorganconsulting.com/list/
And a few I regrettably forgot to mention in the audio:
- Eric Davis:
- Chris Ferdinandi:
- Really good example of a developer education-focused list (helps Chris sell infoproducts)
- Go Make Things
- Seth Godin:
- The "grandaddy" of all daily blogs :)